Episode 56 - Season 3, Episode 12
First Aired: December 6, 1984
The family needs a housekeeper as Elyse is nearing delivery time. Alex interviews one, Karen Nicholson (played by Geena Davis), and though entirely incompetent, Alex hires her (and falls for her at the same time). The laundry, the kitchen table, and the china will never be the same, however. Somehow, she makes it out of the first episode as housekeeper.
- Karen has never done laundry before, and it's obvious when Steven's pants shrink to extra small. Jennifer suggests, "We'll just give them to Alex."
- Mallory says Karen is like the big sister she never had, and Jennifer says, "Yeah, I feel the same way."
- A scene is the kitchen is coordinated so well as to only reveal iron burns on their shirts later.
- The toasts flies out of the toaster and Steven says (holding a piece of toast), "If this had been a Pop-Tart, we'd be dead now."
- Parts of this episode are used as a flashback in "A Word to the Wise".
- The first housekeeper interviewed, Mrs. Warfield, is played by Anne Ramsey, probably most famous for her role in the 1987 film Throw Momma from the Train.
- Robert Costanzo appears in this and several other episodes.
- There are some interesting camera angles in the kitchen. It seems that there is much more room behind the island than usual.
- Meredith Baxter Birney does not appear in this episode. (see explanation).