Episode #48 - Season 3, Episode 4
First Aired: October 11, 1984
An old friend of Jennifer's, Scott Handley (played by Matthew Berry), comes back for a visit, and now he is much more interested in Mallory than Jennifer. Jennifer plans a baseball outing with Scott, but makes dinner plans with Mallory instead. (And Jennifer is intent on making sure he notices.) Alex and Steven set out to assemble the baby's crib (quite unsuccessfully).
- Alex is cooking for the family (while Elyse is pregnant), and Alex says to Steven, "You know, they may say things have changed, but basically they're happiest when they're barefoot and pregnant."
- Jennifer asks Alex, "What has Mallory got that I don't?"
- Alex cousels Jennifer to enjoy being a child as long as she can. "I know I did. It was the best two weeks of my life."
- Parts of this episode are used as flashbacks in both "Battle of the Sexes" and "Return of the Native".
- While watching a talking money mobile he used to have as a baby, the voice mentions the stock closing of Syntram Corporation (Uncle Ned's old company, "The Fugitive" and "Say Uncle").
- Jennifer wants to catch a double-header with the Cleveland Indians and Seattle Mariners. The box office tells her there are 35,000 available tickets. (Go figure. The Indians went 75-87 in 1984 and finished 29 games out of the lead in their division).
- Jennifer suggests that Scott get the pizza with bologna. She ordered the same in "French Lessons". (The restaurants appear similar, but are not the same).
- Meredith Baxter Birney does not appear in this episode. (see explanation).