|Summer of '82|
|Season 1, Episode 4|
|Air date||October 27, 1982|
|Written by||Michael J. Weithorn|
|Directed by||Tony Mordente|
I Know Jennifer's Boyfriend
I Never Killed for My Father
Summer of '82 is the fourth episode of the first season of Family Ties. It aired on October 27, 1982.
While delivering groceries, seventeen-year-old Alex meets Stephanie Brooks (played by Amy Steel), a college senior writing a thesis on Milton Friedman. He later nervously loses his virginity with her, but he is heartbroken when he sees her with another guy. Stephanie doesn't think the situation is as serious as Alex does. Steven helps Alex to sort out his feelings.
- Parts of this episode are used as flashbacks in "Wrap Around the Clock".
- Alex mentions this "relationship" to Mallory in an effort to persuade her not to sleep with her boyfriend ("Ready or Not").
- Though not mentioned in this episode, Alex is probably working at Adler's Grocery (as seen in "Death of a Grocer").
- After his affair with Stephanie, the next morning at home Alex sings "Let's Do It (Let's Fall in Love)".
- The title is a reference to the 1971 film, "Summer of '42".